What does PC stand for?
PC is an acronym for PolyCarbonates, a group of thermoplastic polymers containing carbonate groups (carbon that is bonded to three oxygen groups).
What is PCâ€™s plastic identification number?
PC does not have its own plastic number. Instead, PC is identified by number 7, which is â€œotherâ€ plastic types.
What are properties of PC plastic?
- PC is durable, has high impact strength, and is exceptionally clear.
- Have densities between 1.20 â€“ 1.22 g/cm3.
- Polycarbonate is naturally transparent with the ability to transmit light nearly that of glass.
- It has high strength, toughness, heat resistance, and excellent dimensional and color stability.
- It has fair chemical resistance but is attacked by many organic solvents.
- It is fairly expensive compared to other plastics.
- Flame-retardants can be added to polycarbonate without significant loss of properties.
- Glass fibers can be added to polycarbonate to significantly increase tensile strength, flexural strength, flexural modulus, and heat deflection temperature. Doing so will cause a decrease in the impact strength and tensile elongation.
Polycarbonate plastic products?
- Data storage including, CDs, DVDs, blu-ray discs, etcâ€¦
- Lenses including sunglasses, prescription glasses, automotive headlamps, riot shields, instrument panels, etcâ€¦
- PC is derived from bisphenol A (BPA) and is no longer used in food applications
- Electrical and telecommunications hardware
- Construction materials such as dome lights, sound walls, etcâ€¦
- Automotive, aircraft, and security components
- Medical applications
Is PC plastic recyclable?
Yes, PC plastic is 100% recyclable with large demands in China.
- What is Polypropylene (PP)?
- What is Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene (ABS)?
- What is Polystyrene (PS)?